Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of things to do before you move.
If You Rent Your Present Home:
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any funds you have on deposit.
- Get Change of Address cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage (fur coats, dry cleaning, etc.).
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for moving your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids, as it is illegal for movers to carry them.
- Make arrangements for all utilities, water softener, telephone and cable to be connected on the day the sale closes.